Sunday, January 23, 2011

No Pants/Darling Edie

I don't know if I am early or tardy with this trend but in any case I am very pro hot pants for winter and spring.. who knows if I will be burnt out on summer.. Yes, I know it has all been done before but I just don't care.. Other than maxi dresses, which deserve a post in themselves, my heart lies with high waist hot pants coupled with tights.. Paging darling Edie with this one who often positioned her style somewhere between mod and boho with black hot pants and opaque black tights dressed up with a leopard coat and large earrings or down with a striped top or geometric tunic.  Although I look nothing like Edie, I want to dress just like that.  Well, not just like that.  I like things a bit darker.  The possibilities for the top half are endless.  Last weekend I wore a turtleneck.  I love a jacket, or floppy sweater, or coat with hot pants as well. I choose a range of platform JCs in accompaniment, with power shoulder blazers, or drapey asymmetric flowy tops.  I like things situated somewhere between flowy organic and architectonic..

I think also, the trick to wearing your underwear on the outside is heels.  Heels elongate any leg and platform heels, boots, and booties are everywhere right now.  I'm taller and have slender legs but you won't see me wearing hot pants with flats.

FYI, the distinction between hot pants and short shorts are the hem lines.  Short shorts cover the entire backside, hot pants go a little higher over the cheek.  The difference is a slippery slope.  For me, shorts have azipper and don't cling to your ass like underwear.  This article is about ass clinging and if my use of the term "hot pants" is wrong, well I just don't want to be right.

Also, a lot of images I am seeing are bare legged which is a bit too daring for pale skinned, modest me but more power to you if you can swing it.  

So anyway, here's a little medley of good looking people in hot pants including Edie and her opaques and Sienna Miller trying to be Edie.  Rather than post pictures of black hot pants (because we all know what they look like) I thought I would just include a little visual ode to.  If you are looking for high waist hot pants, I found some great pairs at American Apparel.  The image doesn't do them justice but they fit well and are a nice thick cotton.  (CLICK HERE).  These hot pants (CLICK HERE) from Top Shop are also awesome!



No comments:

Adirondack Chairs | Recycled Adirondack Chairs | Adirondack Furniture